Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Games

Game Night - When I was packing up my stuff in Seattle for my move, I insisted that I got to bring most my games with me, even though Tracy rolled her eyes. I thought that it would be great way to invite people over and play board games and hang out. So when I invited some co-workers out, they were quite impressed that I had actually packed it in the suitcase. We started to play Jenga which was a wonderful game and played like 4 rounds, and then moved to Uno. Nadja and Rosemary were great company and said I had a nice place even though it feels kind of empty…maybe I need more pics. We all had a blast with great conversations and laughter-I definitely think it has to be a once a month thing.

Saturday I had a full agenda of wanting to get coffee, car shop, and then go to a rugby tournament. On the way to the bus stop, I thought I would get my ticker to the tournament and be on my way. Once I got the ticket, I kind of got sucked into the field, and basically spent the next 7 hours tanning, watching, admiring and eating. It is a wonderful game of violence and strategy and it for sure doesn’t hurt the eyes with all the HOT shirtless men…I had a blast on the stands! I did have a Mayism moment though when I went to grab lunch. It was quite hot on Saturday and while I was standing at the bus stop I was talking to a guy about the weather. After several minutes, his friend comes up and is sweating a storm. I look at him and continue my conversation by saying “see he is hot…I mean he is hot, but he is sweating, which shows how hot the weather is.” I was probably already pink from being hot…but my face was probably a whole new shade of pink…so funny!!

Sunday, I ended up staying at the mall a little too long after church and learned a valuable lesson. I got to the mini bus station at 8pm and it was basically a ghost town. I asked a couple people that were waiting how long they had been there and they said 30 minutes. I went to the gate keeper and he said the next one wouldn’t be for 75 minutes…which would mean that it would after 9pm before I even got downtown and still would have to catch another bus to get home. Knowing that the main station is pretty dodgy I had to find another solution. I am not kin on taking regular taxis as they are expensive (relatively, as I typically think about how much sushi or chocolate I can get) but knowing the risk I would be putting myself in wouldn’t be worth it. So I forked over R100 and got a taxi at a hotel. The attendant at the hotel, named Damian was extremely sweet and bargained with the cab driver so keep it at R100 and take me completely home and not just downtown. The cab driver was named Eshad and was from Congo. A lot of taxi drivers and car watchers are from that area. We had a fantastic talk about “Living” and defining when you should say I am living in a city and call it home. He said, “if you are in a place for more than 2 days, then it is home. You need to make it home, take it as your own, it is home, so you are in Cape Town, so this is your home.” He was a sweet man, and I am grateful that I got home safely. Lesson learned…May it might be time to get a car!

*Things I could use prayer for- I really do want to get a car and need to decide if I should want until my co-workers have time to take me or to just go to a car lot by myself. I have been waiting for a month, but our schedules keep interfering and we have had to cancel multiple times. I would like to travel a little further than what the buses and my feet can take me. Also, I seem to be having trouble getting my police clearance from the US. They refuse to email it to me, and have sent it to my US address which it never got forwarded and now they have sent it to Cape Town…and who knows how long that can take. I have until the end of March to get it and if I don’t, I might get shipped back to the US…

No comments:

Post a Comment