Sunday, November 20, 2011
Shopping and My Hood!
The night before I moved into my flat, my co-workers and I went on a shopping spree to get all the essentials. I think they had more fun spending money that wasn’t theirs, who wouldn’t! In less than 2 hours, we probably spent R 7000 which is nothing in USD, but a lot in South Africa. I finally stopped converting in realizing that at some point my USD isn’t going to be existent anymore and I am getting paid in Rand. After I moved in, I had to clean my whole apartment. A clean flat in South Africa means nothing apparently, because it was pretty disgusting. I had to mop the floor twice to get all the dirt out. It was gross. I then decided to walk around and see my neighborhood. I seriously didn’t realize where I was and what I luxurious place I am actually at. I feel like I am on a vacation every day. I don’t know how I ended up getting this place, and why I get to live in such a posh place but I do. (See below blog for basic details.) I can’t believe I get the view that I do. I get to see all 3 mountains every day and Table Mountain is spectacular. It was just named one of the new 7 wonders of the World and I can see why. There has not been a single day that the clouds and mountain has been the same. When the clouds are over it, it looks like a water fall as the clouds move, absolutely stunning! Green Point Park is beautiful and the view of the soccer field (especially from 7pm-9pm) is not bad and I know it should get better in the coming HOT months…just kidding…kind of. Haha. The Atlantic Ocean is across the street from my complex…I am in awe that I live here, a little confused on what God is doing but…I get to live here! I walked over to Sea point to see what shops they have and ended up having lunch at CafĂ© Sofia. Divine appointment on my first day. I went to take a seat and this guy took all his condiments and placed them on the open table. I asked if the table was free and he said yes, but that I couldn’t have his seat. I looked at him confused and told him that I didn’t want his seat. He said “you know why you can’t have this seat…it has the sun…and you can’t have this seat.” What? I sat down, and was just thinking that I wasn’t going to allow this crazy person to spoil my wonderful first day. After a while, I decided to finally talk to the guy. His name is Brandon and he is a waiter at a restaurant. We talked about everything for the next 45 minutes from Cape Town, jobs, taxis, and ended up talking about church. He told me that he goes to a Charismatic church and I asked him to define that. It got rather interesting after that as I explained the different terminologies that I think US has for charismatic, and as he talked about churches in Cape Town. At the end of the lunch, he had paid for my meal and I walked away in awe of God reminding me that he has me exactly where I am suppose to be, in this posh, safe, amazing area. A funny thing of the day. On the way home, I bought this lime green mop and had to walk it all the way home. Talk about trying to not stand out…I am not only “coloured” and have an American accent, I now have a weapon if you were to attack me…so watch out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You even spell "coloured" the way they do! :D
ReplyDelete