Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dunoon and some mayisms

I can't leave this blog in such a depressing state...so let me tell you about the township and end with something I am sure will make you all laugh AT me.
This past Sunday I finally got to go to a township church! I have been attending Josh Gen Church here in the city the lasst few months and they have a church in a township called Dunoon. http://www.milnerton.info/nearbySuburbs/DuNoon/DuNoon.html
When the service started, my heart was beating in hearing them sing about Jesu...it was beautiful. I then looked outside and all the kids were downstairs, outside playing. I don't know if it was just a 1 day thing...or if they don't have a children ministry set up, but it didn't really matter...cause if you know me...you know where this story is going! I walked outside to the balcony and watched 3 little girls...who were probably watching me too as they talked in Xhosa and giggled. I talked to you them for a few minutes, they taught me how I should be dancing :) and I later ended up downstairs with them as they sat playing with rocks. It was a beautiful scene of kids just running around...just beautiful. I took the rocks that they were piling together and taught them how to play hopscotch, followed by duck duck goose in which the boys now joined us, to relay races and red light green light. Games are universal...they may not understood my english with my american accent...but we all can talk games! It was a wonderful 2 hours with these kids and them showing me "spinning" aka cartwheels and clapping games about "momma in the kitchen cooking (and you whip your hands like you are stirring,) daddy is the bedroom, sleeping...." For sure going back again and hopefully more equipped with games, sweets, and a kids bible.

Need a laugh...imagine this!
 I got thrown in last minute at work to handle flu vaccinations. My company ordered flu vaccines but not everyone took them; since it is late in the season, we can't return the flu shots, so it is use it or lose it...My company would still have to pay the cost...so desperate times = desperate measures! I started by advertising "shots, shots, amazon is offering free shots, they may be flu shots, but they are still shots :)" Later in the evening, I went even further and bribed people to get the shot! So not HR appropriate....but I am in Africa! haha. I walked around with a candy bar in my hand promoting a free sweet for a flu shot! I can say it was a success as we didn't have many left over! SCORE for the amazing, creative, American!

MISS AND LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment