Sunday, January 15, 2012

Random Taxi rides

I have taken the crazy taxis many more times since my first time and each time I always walk out with a story. I enjoy these rides so much. Maybe part of it is the adrenaline and the high of knowing you could die each time you get on one…but when your trust is in the Lord and belief that He will give you discernment and wisdom on when to skip certain drivers, it allows you to just enjoy the experiences that are in front of you. There was one ride in which I jumped in at the last minute as I was rushing to get errands done and had to run to the mall. I jump in and no more than ½ mile, we get pulled over by the cops. I looked in the bus and it was packed at capacity, but I didn’t realize or see that there were several children on their mother’s laps and therefore we were over. I can’t decide if it was more funny to be pulled over or watching the driver hand over the forms without a care in the world. They make so much money in a day that a ticket and the likelihood of being pulled over again are slim to none. Another trip included where there was no rearview mirror. I debated on jumping ship, but decided not to. We get to the freeway exit ramp to my destination and guess what happens, the driver just pulls over, pulls over on the exit ramp where there are cars speeding through and tells all of us to get out. I couldn’t help but laugh. There was another bus that pulled up a minute later and picked us up. I guess the drivers work as a team and do favors for each other. I think the driver that ditched us had to drive somewhere else for the one that finally picked us up. I commented to the lovely lady next to me…at least this one has a rearview mirror and she laughed. On a different bus, there was this little boy who was about 4 years old, and he was walking around the bus, saying “give me your coins” as if he was the man who normally collects the money. It was absolutely adorable!
On another adventure, I was working the late shift at work, and had to run to the mall to pay for my couch in order for them to deliver it. I ended up having to get the couch at the same place that I had the bed drama as it was the best price for what I was looking for. The sales associate told me that she was going to try to give me free delivery but had to do some research and didn’t want me to pay until she could guarantee the item. The lady then called and said they could deliver it at the end of the week, but I had to physically go and pay. Without a car, going places does take longer. Anyways, back to the mini bus. So I get on to head to town to go to work and I was able to get in a packed bus which I didn’t care as I needed to run. Right before I get on, another driver comes over and tells the bus you must leave, you are packed, and makes the bus leave. Apparently this driver wanted my money and was going to get it…I had no choice but to go with him. The problem was, I was the first person in his bus, and they do not leave the site until it is full…so the driver talked, and talked, and talked about blessings, and Jesus, and no need for money, and……NOT getting people on his bus. So I am sitting in the back and took action into my own hands. I stuck my head out the window and was shouting, “anyone coming to Cape Town…come here, Are you going to Cape Town? Cape Town here…” I sat in the bus for 30 minutes waiting for the bus to fill, and listening to the driver. At least I was able to use my recruiting skills, or I may have sat there longer. Please know, I do love Jesus with all my heart, but I feel there is a time, place, and way to do it…and this was not one of them. He drove soooo slow all the way over and was talking about no need for money. That bus on that day was deemed the Gospel Bus…and everyone in the bus was feeling my pain.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I think you have more courage than most. Those buses sound scary! :D

    ReplyDelete