Monday, January 30, 2012

Simple Things in Life are Sometimes Always the Best

This was the title of the sermon last week that Pastor Lucinda Dooley spoke on at Hillsong church. The message wasn’t that profound but I have found that it has resonated in my week. Over the last couple of months as I have ridden the MyCiti bus, it always drives by an area in which I can see a sign that says Seattle Coffee Company. I tried visiting the place a couple weeks ago on a Saturday and it was closed. On Wednesday I got up early enough t drop my laundry off (as most places don’t have washer and dryers, you have to take it in to a laundry mate and they do it for you…kind of a perk and kind of not) and still make it downtown for coffee. I walked into the place and the smell…the smell of coffee was refreshing. When they handed me my grande vanilla latte and I took a sip, it felt like home! You know when it is snowing outside and a cup of tea or hot cocoa soothes the soul…it was like that! Absolutely amazing! Although my day at work was the same as any other days…this day, on this Wednesday, nothing could have dampened my day all thanks to a cup of coffee…it’s is the simple things. This week I had to have all my performance reviews done for work and it was stressful to get them all done but was also a good time on reflecting this past year and all that that happened at work. It was an exhausting and emotional week for a variety of reasons and on Friday I came home to an orange envelope in my mailbox. When I grabbed it and looked who it was from on the top left, my emotions kicked in and there I was standing in the foyer at 9pm at night crying….a simple letter without even opening it yet, but reminds me that I am loved, not forgotten, what I have left behind, and yet knowing that this year is going to be better than the last, and God has so much in store for me. This letter was sent over 2 weeks ago and God delivered it sooner, as most letters I have gotten has taken a month! Work was extremely challenging this week and there have been thoughts of “What am I doing here!” PJ will probably have no clue, but that letter breathed life back into me, in that moment, it was just a reminder that God sure does have me in the palm of His hand. Ek is lief vir jou, vriend! On Saturday, I went grocery shopping and it was the first time since I have been here that I picked up flowers for my place. I have been staring at these flowers the last few days and what a difference it makes in my flat and in me…I love looking at them, smelling them, it has brought joy to me this weekend…It really is the simple things in life that are sometimes the best!
Since this week seemed to be a reflection on week, I thought I would finally get to thinking about what lies ahead this year. Last year I created a prayer wall at my Seattle home, and when I left, I took a picture of it and was amazed to see all the things that God said and answered for me and the people I felt called to pray for. I bought the materials at the beginning of the year, but just finally got around to doing it today. It was a good time of prayer in seeing things that I get to intercede for and the promises that He has in store…It is going to a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment