Monday, December 12, 2011

Round 2 on the crazy taxi

I decided on Dec. 3rd that I must get furniture into my flat as I was getting sick of the living room having my voice echo whenever I tried skyping with someone and the empty living room is kind of depressing. I have been relying on my co-workers a lot, but also learning how to be independent and know what is considered “safe” for me. Since the taxi wasn’t that bad last time I took it to the Mill, I thought I would try it to the mall which is a further distance. I get to the taxi ramp where everyone is shouting where they are driving to and trying to get more passengers, and I weave my way through trying to find the one that will take me to Canal Walk/Century City. This was also an exciting attempt, because Hillsong is in that area, so if I found it was safe..I could take it in the future to the church! I find a taxi that says that they are going to that area so I get in only to be kicked out and told I must take the taxi at #14. I am staring at the signs…#14…#14…??? WHAT?? All the taxis are parked in every which way…and I didn’t know there was some kind of order…but I found out there is order to their chaos…and found my way to the #14 ramp. I pointed to jump into the cab, but it is packed! They then point to the front seat area and they have made a seat where the middle compartment normally is…nice! I jump in, say a quick prayer and we are on our way. Now it wouldn’t be a crazy taxi ride, without a crazy taxi experience…so…we are driving and the driver is going like 100+km and I notice the rearview mirror is in the glove compartment, really? I kind of chuckle and keep looking around to see the scenery. The driver gets off at the right exit ramp and then parks the taxi on the curb and tells us all to get out! I look around in utter confusion and then see another taxi is parted behind us, and we are to jump on that taxi. So all 15+ of us get out, walk the curb where everyone is driving and exiting the ramp, and jump into the next taxi. The good thing about this taxi is that the rearview mirror is attached!

I went shopping for over 4 hours but was able to purchase a couch, a dining room table, and a coffee table. When it gets delivered may be another story, but the items are paid. The trip back from the mall wasn’t adventous which I am thankful for as I was tired! The ride home through included a drive through one of the townships which was quite interesting. I haven’t taken pictures up to this point, as I feel wrong taking pics of peoples’ poverty…I am and I am not a tourist. Pictures will come in time, but when it is more appropriate I guess. It is honestly difficult to comprehend, but this specific township is basically across the street from this luxious apartment complex, literally across the street. The houses are built from scrap metal and other items that people think can build their house. There is no electricity or water, and it is basically a one room shack. The sad thing is that, at any point in time, the police can come in and raid the township and destroy it as they shouldn’t legally be there. I hear they normally do this during the winter…how cruel is that? Cape Town has some interesting dynamics along with extreme wealth and extreme poverty that are so close together, it is something I haven’t gotten use to, and honestly hope that I don’t. I don’t want it to be so common and everyday that I become numb to it, I want to be able to look at the bigger pic and see where I can make a difference however small it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment