Monday, December 12, 2011

Thanksgiving in Africa

Africa doesn’t celebrate the American tradition of Thanksgiving, so May had the pleasure of working. I think It worked out better that way or I might have been more depressed than I already was. I can say that I have never really been extremely homesick before in all my locations I have lived, but this time, It was different. I think part of it is that the culture is so different, so thanksgiving to me which includes spending it the last 2 years with my Seattle family means nothing really here in South Africa. Since Amazon is a US company, we did serve turkey to all of the workers and for many it was their first time having turkey which was mind boggling to me. FYI, the turkey we had…was not turkey…not REAL turkey. After work, I didn’t want to go home to my empty flat knowing it was Thanksgiving. When my co-workers asked why I was still at work late, I bursted into tears!! I didn’t realize how sad I was until that moment. I was so sad to not be in Seattle and having turkey with Mary, PJ, Stevey Wonderful, and all the amazing kiddos. I was remembering last year in which it had snowed and the men had to magically get my Jasmine from the bottom of the icy hill, back to the top…and my dear sweet Jasmine…I miss that beautiful car! My co-workers then decided to take me out to Indian food (partly out of obligation and guilt, and partly because South Africans love their wine!) So, I had Indian food on Thanksgiving night with yummy Chocolate Block wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment