Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My beautiful friend of 12/14 years it all adds up to 42 anyways!


May, May, May…


I don’t even know where to begin. I could write about when we met (biology, McQueen) or when we became friends (listening to “Rockabye” on the way to and from that youth conference in Sparks, which at that point, seemed SO far away) or even the times we visited each other in Santa Barbara and Folsom and Fayetteville and Seattle. I could detail the future plans we have to visit each other in South Africa and Japan or the plans we are making for our “sisterchicks” vacation in 12 years. I could reminisce about the times we have commiserated over school and family and friends. I could even wax poetic about all the big decisions we had to make over the years, many of them coincidentally occurring at the same time. Our “big” moves to Fayetteville and Seattle and then our even bigger moves to Misawa and Capetown. Our frequent talks on the phone about visas and customs forms and passports, where one of us calmed the other down, only to switch places the next day. Those days I thought I would collapse from the stress, only to feel better knowing that you were facing the same situation and that I wasn’t alone. Yes, I could talk about a lot of the memories I have, some ancient past and others more recent.

Instead of writing about all of those things, though, I decided instead to write about how I feel about all of those things. Despite moving all over the world, changing jobs, graduating, making and losing new friends, our friendship has been one of the few constants in my ever-changing world. I always know that even if we haven’t talked in a while, you are my best friend and sounding board and venting buddy and prayer warrior and fellow world-traveler. I know you’re only a skype call (or facebook chat) away and that I’ll soon have a two hour conversation with you that will inadvertently make us both laugh, cry, and then laugh again at our crying.

I feel so lucky to have been a significant part of your first 30 years and am excited to continue in that role during the next 30.

Happy birthday, friend.


This birthday love note came from one of my closet and oldest best friends. I would say I have 3 best friends, actually 4 if you include the one I am gaining in South Africa, but yes I have a few close friends and when I meet them, I refuse to let them go and they for some reason stick with me for life. Kari Mischke Frazier and I met in high school and it is incredible to say that we have been friends for that long!! She got me like no one else had; was my protector and safety when home life sucked; she is my long term memory as I never remember ANYTHING; and she is the one who can complete my sentences or know what I am thinking without having to say a word. We have so many memories as thick as a dictionary and her husband could probably write a book on all our corky sayings and things that make his eyes roll…so thank you Ben for letting her keep me, I know we can be odd at times! 

So for laughter sake which only Bob, I mean Heennnry, I mean Kari will understand, thank you for the back rubs when I was sick in SF, that amazing lady in south Carolina or was it Georgia, spinning the wheel, finding 3 cheesesticks, protecting the house from a fire by blowing out the Buddha sticks, what’s that I see yonder…could it be a roundabout, RIGHT, llamas, the amazing slot machine in your house, meow meow cat cat, I wasn’t tipsy FYI, incredible photo album, Sacramento, pull the level, I got no money, you and trivia grrrr, Fort Pedro, Iphone views of Japan (hahaha,) and many many many hours of phone conversations including that one time where I didn’t talk about that one thing :)


Kari, your words at the end couldn’t be written any better. I know I can call you at a moment notice and you are always by my side, through thick and thin, you have been there and I know you will always be. I love that no matter the distance or length we may not get to chat, we always, always, are able to pick up where we left off. We may not understand why life gives us lemons, at times the people we are blessed to call family, and whatever else may come our way; we know that Jesus is our firm foundation that cannot be shaken and our friendship is like that. Kari you exemplify and live out one of the greatest commandments LOVE. “A true friend loves at all times” and “I will never leave you.” You love unconditionally and no matter how lost I am at times you are able to bring me back to the cross and what truly matters in the end. I am truly so blessed to call you my friend and thank God for giving me such an incredible person who stands in faith when I have none, hope when I have lost it, encouragement when I need it, and laughter, tears, and more laughter to feed my soul. I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!


P.S. I am sorry my mom can’t keep her promises! I don’t think you will ever get the eggrolls and a dinner from her.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha I kind of gave up on the eggrolls about 10 years ago!

    I love that you still rememeber that crazy lady in Georgia AND Fort Pedro. Hard to get those images out of my head... lol

    And ps, you SO did talk about that thing :)

    ReplyDelete