About a month ago, I posted a note on Facebook and this blog of how my birthday was coming up and what I truly wanted from friends was a note describing their favorite memory or a story about our friendship or seasons together. What made me think of this idea was one of my best friends Kari always reminds me how bad my memory is…so I am wondering how many things I might not remember but you guys do Over 30 years, there has been a lot of people who have been in my life and without knowing it, each one of you guys have been a part of helping me become who I am today and I wanted to bless you back with what you have meant to me.
This is what Emily Woo wrote…
One of my favorite memories of you May, ohh there are too many, I have magnum bars being devoured in your condo, watching Bridesmaids together on your couch, having fun on the see-saw, locking me in your flat because your secretly didn't want me to leave and living in Cape Town together! Your over-whelming generosity, kindness, love for God and orphans, you ability to just be yourself and be who you are are qualities that I admire about you, friend!
When I first moved in with you, you had gotten Buster and you were learning and doing awesome at driving stick. I remember we took that road-trip from Cape Town out to The Cape of Good Hope on Human Rights day. Here's a video =) Happy 30th Birthday Love + thank you for being YOU! (there's a card coming too via snail mail)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlrNyn-5GI0&feature=youtu.be
If you have been keeping up with the blog, you would remember that Emily Woo is my friend from Seattle who came for 5 months to Cape Town and I had the blessing to have her as my roommate for about 3 months of her stay. It was such a blessing in disguise as I had no clue how many tears, laughs, memories, and heart mending would happen during that short time. I had been in Cape Town for about 4 months when she came to live with me and I was doubting my decision BIG time on moving to Cape Town as work was so extremely difficult and I was wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into. Emily, you helped me daily to push through the difficult walls that Capetonians have; you taught me to pursue my dreams, ask for anything and everything that I want; restored my faith in roommates (incredible how different it is to live with 1 person instead of 7-24 people from IV days); showing me that worshipping and experiencing God can be done by just enjoying life and soaking in everything daily; and that we are never too old to enjoy all that a city has (I will leave it as that Em to not reveal some of our shenanigans.)
Emily and I will always share the bond we have with mint magnum ice cream bars; they are divine and will be one of our comfort foods if we are missing Cape Town. For those of you wondering, I did indeed lock Emily in my flat, LOL! Cape Town is all about locking doors as there is a lot of break-ins and theft unfortunately. So my flat has a regular door and a gate. I lock the gate every time that I leave the house and on this one day, I took the keys on the counter and headed to work without realizing I took Emily’s keys and that mine were tucked safely in my purse, OOPS! Oh my when she called me….I laughed so hard tears were flowing down my cheeks. THAT IS HOW MUCH I LOVE EMILY!...oh and don’t forget that I almost took you to the airport without your luggage…Guess I couldn’t decide if I wanted to keep you or get rid of you!
Thank you Emily for the kind words, I miss you dearly and my flat is empty without you, but I am so excited for what lies ahead for you!! I think you will be back in Cape Town before you know it. You are called to move mountains and with that, I foresee Table Mountain again for you. Sad to know that bowling in slip slops and having our faces painted like African warriors still wasn't enough to help us win!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment