Sunday, October 9, 2011

Adventures of the last few days

Wednesday
• Stayed at The Strand for one night before transferring to another hotel. The view on the 14th floor was spectacular! I could see Table Mountain and Lions Head from my window, absolutely amazing!
• All the stores and banks close around 5pm…sad times. Dinner was nuts I bought at NYC
Thursday
• To get Internet you have to buy MB or GB…which is different and at first a little frustrating. Most coffee shops don’t have free access as in the US. This makes it difficult to post pics, but I will be able to do that once I start at Amazon
• Most people use cell phones as prepaid. They do not go by minutes but by “A time” which is
airtime, but no one can tell you how much time that allows you.
• Woolworths and KFC is popular here….I haven’t seen a Woolworth store since elementary days and these ones has clothing and food!
• My new place for the next 31 days is pretty sweet. It is a hotel that has all cooking amenities or as they say “self catering” suites.
Friday
• Went grocery shopping! They don’t have turkey but the fruit is unbelievably cheap!
• Everyone knows that I am from the “States” before I even talk…look forward to blending in at some point.
• Getting lots of whistling and “pretty lady” comments…pretty entertaining!
• Everyone says “Cheers” when saying goodbye…but every time they say it all I can think about is having a mug with good beer in it and clanking glasses 
• Went to the Waterfront and although there are a lot of tourists, the water is beautiful.
Saturday
• Had trouble finding the items I needed to get at just one store, had to go to several places to get what I needed. Guess this is common and I will learn the ropes of what to buy where.
• Went to the movies today…and you have to select your seats when you buy the ticket rather than first come first serve in seating. Also, you have to buy butter packets when you get popcorn, but they also have caramel packets!

2 comments:

  1. Love your list...can picture everything you are experiencing! Blessings and would love to skype once you are settled with consistent bandwidth:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe when I get a place it will be better, right now..not really :(

    Miss you and Love you! Christy is amazing! Tell all the girls I say hi.

    ReplyDelete