Saturday, October 8, 2011
Africa..my homeland
There is so much to update for everyone. I guess I will start with the question that most people are still wondering…What, huh, what, how are you going to Africa! It actually started in May when an HR person I was working with in Cape Town told me that there was an open position available. I told her to not tempt me, and the next 10 minutes went from there is an opening to “we would be willing to consider getting you a work permit if you are serious.” I was stunned and told them that I would need some time to think about…and pray. I had thought that it might be a possibility, but was thinking it would be years down the road if I stayed with Amazon. Thinking about the opportunity seemed like a no brainer. I would get the chance to see Africa, a chance to be promoted in Amazon, and have international experience under my belt. After taking some time to pray, think, and seek advice from some dear people, I decided to open the door and see where it would take me. For those of you that have been with me since college days, there was a time that I was attempting to go to China and everything fell through. So I knew that if God didn’t want me to go, He would close the door somehow. Two months later, I was finally offered the job and the work permit was requested. I was going to AFRICA! Throughout the process, I kept asking God for more confirmation even though I knew I was suppose to go…but by His grace and goodness He always came through. Some examples include going to a bible study and we were discussing “risks” and this friend said “that everyone’s thought of risk is different and for you going to Africa probably wouldn’t be a risk.” I asked why Africa and not Asia or Australia and the response was I just see you in Africa. I hadn’t discussed the job offer at this bible study yet. Overwhelming support from friends that I thought would object to this idea, the support of co-workers and bosses were another. When I told my Dad, his response was “well, you have always wanted to go to Africa. Ever since you were a kid.” Really? I don’t remember that. Working out the details of selling all my stuff and little money details like Verizon not charging me the fee for dropping service early and my landlord telling me that I didn’t have to clean my place! What? Really? Sweet! Even on the plane over to Africa this week was another confirmation. I started freaking out on the plane and doubting if this was really happening and if I was supposed to be doing this…what happens?...I had all three seats from New York to Dubai for myself and was upgraded to Business class from Dubai to Cape Town…Really?? It was just the Lord reminding me…calm down, I have prepared your comings and goings…chill. I will take care of you. Back in Santa Barbara, there is this Uganda Children’s choir that came to the church every year. There is a song that has stuck in my head all these years and I would see it now and then not realizing what it really meant.. “Africa…my homeland….Uganda…” and I don’t know the rest, haha.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment